A passport is a formal document granted by the Government of one’s country verifying the identity and citizenship of the passport holder and allowing them to travel to and from foreign countries.
In India, (Passport Seva) Consular, Passport & Visa Division, Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India is assigned with the authority of issuing the passport to Indian citizens.
Moreover, one can apply for a fresh or re-issue of a normal and tatkal passport via both online and offline.
Types of Indian passport Application
There are two types of passport applications namely:
- Normal Passport Application: This is a common form of the passport application process.
- Tatkal passport Application: In this process, an application is filed on an urgent basis by paying an additional amount of charge to get the passport application processed and issued by the Department.
The process of getting the Indian Passport under the tatkal scheme of the Government is quite the same as under the normal scheme. However, the applicant is required to give a valid or genuine reason for applying the tatkal scheme.
Furthermore, the ultimate authority of issuing the passport under the Tatkal scheme rest in the hands of the passport office.
Eligibility under Tatkal Passport Scheme
The absolute power lies in the hands of the jurisdictional passport office to issue the passport under the tatkal scheme depending on the urgency and situation of the applicant.
However, the following category of applicants cannot apply/reapply for a passport under the Tatkal scheme.
- Nationals who are born to Indian parents outside India
- Citizens of India who’ve been issued citizenship standing based on naturalization or registration
- Any applicant who’s been expelled to India from another country
- Applicants repatriated from a foreign country at the government’s expense
- Change in the name (major)
- Residents of the state of Jammu & Kashmir and Nagaland
- Naga origin citizens living outside Nagaland
- Children adopted by Indian and foreign parents
- Minor children having a single parent
- Minors belonging to Nagaland
- Short passport validity renewal
- Lost, damaged, or stolen passport
- Change in sex or appearance
- Change in the name of parents
- Modifications in signatures
How to Apply For Tatkal Passport?
The steps for applying for the allotment of a passport under the tatkal scheme are as follows:
- The first and foremost step is to get yourself registered at the official web-portal of Passport Seva.
- After the registration, you will have your user personal ID and password.
- Then, log in with your user ID and password.
- Now, you will have two options-
- A fresh issue of passport
- Re-Issue of passport
- Select any one option.
- Then, select ˜Tatkal’ option
- Fill in all the details in the passport application form online and submit the same
- Furthermore, proceed with the online payment process
- There are three ways of making payment online for the passport which is as follows:
- Credit/Debit card
- Internet banking
- SBI bank challan
- Take out the print of the payment online payment acknowledgment receipt
- Furthermore, fix an appointment at the nearest Passport Service Kendra
Moreover, you can also check out the link at the homepage of the official Passport Seva portal for Tatkal appointment.
Documents Required For Tatkal Passport
The following are the documents required for getting the passport under the tatkal scheme:
- Verification Certificate as per “Annexure F”
- Voter Id card
- Photo of Service Id Card
- A copy of SC/ST/OBC certificate
- Id cards of Freedom Fighters
- Arms License
- Ration card
- PAN card
- Copy of Bank passbook
- Student’s Id card from a recognized institution
- Driving license
- Birth certificate
- Gas connection bill
- Property documents
- Pension documents
- Railway Photo Identity card
Duration for the issue of Tatkal Passport?
The tatkal passport application means fast police passport verification and speedy processing. Under this scheme, the passport is issued and dispatched within a period of 1-3 days from the date the tatkal passport application has been submitted.
|Sr. No.||Service Applied For||Application fees (INR)||Additional Tatkal (INR)|
|1.||Fresh /Re-issue of Indian Passport
(36 pages) and of 10 years of validity.
|2.||Fresh /Re-issue of Indian Passport
(60 pages) and 10 years of validity.
|3.||Fresh/Re-issue of Indian Passport for Minors||3000||1000|
|4.||Replacement of Passport (36 pages) in case if the original passport gets lost, damaged, or stolen||3000||2000|
|5.||Replacement of Passport (60 pages) in case if the original passport has been lost, damaged, or stolen||3500||2000|
|6.||Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)||500||NA|
|7.||Replacement of Passport36 pages with 10 years of validity||1500||2000|
|8.||Replacement of Passport60 pages and 10 years of validity||2000||2000|
|9.||Replacement of Passport
36 pages and 5 years of validity
Related Topic: Passport police verification status