Acronym NSDL stands for National Securities Depositories Limited which was established in the year 1996 as the first and largest e-securities Depository in India.
The term “Depository” in the Indian Capital Market refers to an institution or an organization which holds and safeguards the securities such as shares, stocks, bonds, mutual funds units, etc. in an electronic form rather than in physical form. Hence eliminates the risk associated with holding securities in physical form.
Moreover, National Securities Depositories Limited (NSDL) works for the National Stock Exchange (NSE) under the strict control and regulations of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
What is the NSDL PAN?
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited has been authorized by the Indian Income Tax Department for accepting and processing the PAN applications through online mode.
PAN Services offered by NSDL
NSDL offers a variety of PAN services such as:
- Application for new PAN
- Changes or Corrections in existing PAN data
- Re-issuance of a PAN card without any changes or corrections in existing PAN data.
- Track PAN card application status
- PAN verification, etc.
How to apply for NSDL PAN?
One can simply apply for the PAN card by visiting the NSDL web-portal in the following way:
- Apply for PAN in form no.49A
- Apply for PAN in form no.49AA
Application for NSDL PAN in form 49A
The following category of applicants can apply for the allotment of new PAN in form 49A.
- HUF (Hindu Undivided Family)
- Firm/ Limited Liability Partnership and
- Association of Person(s) / Body of Individuals / Association of Person(s) Trust / Artificial Juridical Person / Local Authority.
Application for NSDL PAN in form 49AA
Form 49AA is applicable in the following cases:
- Individuals not being a Citizen of India
- Entities incorporated outside India or
- Unincorporated entities formed outside India.
Furthermore, a Qualified Foreign Investor (QFI) has to apply for the allotment of new PAN in Form 49AA through a Depository Participant only.
Elements of NSDL PAN form 49AA
Following are the elements of PAN form 49AA:
- Assessing Officer (AO code)
- Area code
- AO type
- Range code
- AO No.
- Full Name
- Abbreviations of the above name
- Date of Birth
- Date of Incorporation/Agreement/Partnership or Trust Deed/ Formation of Body of individuals or Association of Persons
- Details of parents
- Address for communication
- Telephone Number & Email ID details
- Status of applicant
- Registration Number
- Country of citizenship
- ISD code of the country of citizenship
- Source of Income
- KYC details (This category of the form shall be filled in by or a Qualified Foreign Investors or Foreign Institutional Investors as prescribed under SEBI regulations).
How to apply for NSDL PAN in form 49AA?
Steps for applying PAN in form 49AA are as follows:
- Log on to the official web-portal of NSDL.
- Click on “Application Type” and select form 49AA.
- Fill the following details in the application form:
- Last name, middle name, and surname
- Date of Birth/formation/Incorporation
- E-mail Id
- Mobile No.
- Now, enter the Captcha Code
- Furthermore, click on the “submit button.”
- Once you click on the submit button, the following page will appear.
- Click on “Continue with PAN Application form.”
- Then, Fill in all the mandatory details asked in the forwarding application form.
- After this, upload the relevant documents.
- Make payment of INR1020 (Application fee INR 93.00 + Dispatch Charges INR 771.00) + 18.00% Goods & Services Tax)
- Then an acknowledgment number will be displayed on the next page.
- Save and print the acknowledgment number for future reference.
PAN will be issued by the department within a maximum period of 15 days after complete the verification of documents submitted by the applicant.
Furthermore, you can download the soft copy of PAN from your registered E-mail Id.
Track your PAN Application Status online
An applicant can track the status of the PAN card application through the online mode.
Steps for tracking the pan status are as follow:
- Log on to the official website of NSDL.
- Once you login to the NSDL website the following page will appear:
- Here, select the application type
- Then, enter the 15 digit PAN acknowledgment number.
- Furthermore, enter the Captcha Code.
- Now, click on the “submit button”.
Once you will click on the submit button, the status of your PAN application will be displayed on the screen.
Related Topic: PAN card details by name and date of birth