- What is the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana, and how does it work?
- What Is Covered by the RSBY Act?
- What Isn’t Included in the RSBY?
- The Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana has the following features:
- Benefits of the RSBY:
- The RSBY is distinguished by the following features. So far, millions of families have joined this program. The following are the plan’s advantages:
- Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana Eligibility:
- What Is The Process For Filing A Claim Under The Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana?
The expense of healthcare facilities is growing in today’s world. Even families who are fortunate enough to experience a medical emergency find it challenging to keep up with the rising healthcare costs. While government hospitals operate at the lowest possible cost, some low-income families may not be able to afford medical treatment. This could be due to a variety of factors, including infrastructural and transportation issues. It’s possible that they won’t be able to receive treatment at the hospital of their choice. Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana was established to help overcome these obstacles. Its purpose is to provide assistance to people who cannot afford the whole expense of a medical emergency.
What is the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana, and how does it work?
The National Health Insurance Program, or RSBY, is a government-sponsored program for Indian people who fall within the low-income strata, or those who live below the poverty line (BPL). Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana is its full name. This plan can be classified as a family floater health insurance plan because it covers both the policyholder and his or her family.
What Is Covered by the RSBY Act?
The Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana is a unique health insurance plan that offers additional benefits over a commercial plan. The following are the RSBY insurance coverages:
1. Expenses for Hospitalization:
The RSBY will cover expenses associated to hospitalization for the treatment of a disease, illness, or accident. This protection will also be given to the policyholder’s family. However, therapy and hospitalisation must be provided by a trained Physician/Medical Specialist/Medical Practitioner at a Nursing Home/Hospital. The insurance provider will cover the costs associated with the following (but not limited to):
- Fees for nursing and boarding
- Charges for using the bed (General Ward)
- Charges against surgeons
- Visits to the doctors
- Fee for consultation
- Charges in the Extra Time
- Expenses incurred as a result of the usage of Surgical Apparatus
- Devices for Prosthetics
- Diagnostic Tests and X-Rays
- Meal (for patient only)
2. Pre-Hospitalization: Up to one day before a patient is admitted to the hospital, the scheme will cover the cost of diagnostic tests and medicines.
3. Post-Hospitalization: Expenses incurred as a result of an illness or surgery for which the patient was admitted will be reimbursed for five days following discharge.
4. Transportation Expenses: The policyholder is entitled to a maximum of Rs.100/- in transportation expenses for each visit. This fee is limited at one thousand rupees each year.
5. Dental Treatment: The Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana will cover the cost of dental procedures required as a result of an accident.
6. Daycare Treatments: A daycare treatment is a surgical procedure that does not necessitate a lengthy stay in the hospital. Out-patient treatments are another name for this type of treatment. The following list of daycare treatments (not exhaustive) is covered by RSBY.
- A tissue’s contracture is released.
- Following an injury, you may require dental surgery.
- Surgical acoustics
- Eye Surgery
- Gastrointestinal surgeries
- Genital surgery
7. Maternity Benefit: This plan covers both natural and cesarean births. The policyholder can receive Rs. 2500 for a natural birth and Rs. 4500 for a cesarean birth. Any issues that arise prior to delivery are also covered.
The expense of an involuntary pregnancy termination caused by an accident or in a case when saving the mother’s life is required will be paid.
8. Newborn Coverage: Even if the number of beneficiaries has been surpassed, the newborn baby will be automatically added to the RSBY insurance. This coverage will be in effect until the policy period ends.
What Isn’t Included in the RSBY?
The Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana helps poor individuals get the treatment they need in an emergency. As a result, the following situations are not covered by the plan:
- Any hospitalization claim that is not covered by the plan will be denied.
- Unless prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner as part of a treatment plan, the cost of vitamins or tonics.
- Dental procedures that are purely cosmetic or remedial will not be covered. Also excluded are root canals, cavity fillings, and operations relating to wear and tear.
- External congenital diseases
- Physical transformations to resemble the opposite sex
The Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana has the following features:
RSBY is more than just a health insurance policy. It’s also a profitable business concept. The following are the benefits of this plan:
1. Guaranteed Treatment: The Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana was established for Indians living in poverty. They may not always receive the medical attention they require in the event of an accident or illness. This plan seeks to eliminate such scenarios as much as possible.
2. Low Premium: To enroll in the scheme, an eligible person must pay a registration fee of Rs. 30 in order to receive the health insurance policy’s coverage. The remaining premium sum, Rs.750 per household per year, will be shared by the Central and State governments.
3.No Limit Limit: Unlike commercial health insurance policies, which have an entry age, this plan allows eligible people of any age group to enroll.
4. Option to Choose: The policyholder has the option of seeking treatment at any RSBY-accredited hospital. There are no requirements to receive treatment at a public hospital.
5. Beneficial to All Stakeholders: The RSBY scheme benefits not only the insured and his or her family, but also everyone involved in providing this service to the policyholder. The scheme is set up in such a way that all stakeholders, including NGOs and MFIs, will benefit.
6. IT-Enabled Applications and Chips on the Smart Card: The RSBY health insurance system uses IT-enabled apps and chips on the smart card to provide extensive monitoring and evaluation. These cards contain the policyholder’s biometric information and are connected to local servers for speedier data sharing.
Benefits of the RSBY:
The RSBY is distinguished by the following features. So far, millions of families have joined this program. The following are the plan’s advantages:
1. Sum Insured: Up to Rs. 300,00 can be claimed for various expenditures covered by the insurance.
2. Household Coverage: This plan can help a normal Indian family of five people. The plan covers the family’s head of household, spouse, and three dependents. Until the policy expires, a newborn baby can be added as an additional beneficiary.
3. No Waiting Period: A waiting period is a period of time during which a policyholder is unable to file a claim against the insurance company’s set conditions. During the waiting time, one must cover the expense of treatment out of pocket. The RSBY, on the other hand, does not have such a clause.
4. Pre-existing Diseases: A pre-existing disease is any illness or condition that the policyholder or beneficiaries had prior to acquiring the insurance. This includes ailments that the policyholder may not have been aware of at the time of purchase. Pre-existing diseases are usually subjected to a 2- to 4-year waiting period in health insurance policies.
Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana Eligibility:
Only families who meet the RSBY’s qualifying requirements are eligible to participate in the program. The following are the requirements for RSBY:
This scheme is open to members of a family who are listed on the State government’s Below Poverty Line list.
- A worker in any unorganized sector could be the applicant.
- As a member of the welfare boards, you must be registered.
What Is The Process For Filing A Claim Under The Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana?
The majority of RSBY claims are cashless in nature. The Smart card must be presented at the hospital by the policyholder. It’s worth noting that cashless claims can only be settled by a hospital that has been approved by the RSBY. The hospital will transmit the appropriate information to the insurance company or the Third Party Administrator (TPA). After the verification process is completed, the claim will be resolved between the hospital and the insurance company/TPA. At the moment of claim settlement, no paperwork is necessary.
RSBY Enrollment Process: Insurance companies that are permitted to offer this scheme will roll out a schedule for enrollment at the village level. Prior to the start of the enrolling procedure, the schedule will be made available at all possible government locations.
Members of the BPL list should arrive at the enrollment center on the scheduled date and time. The RSBY Cards will be printed at the enrolling center as well. After completing the RSBY registration process, a listed beneficiary can receive the Swasthya bima card in as little as ten minutes. Soon after registration, the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana card will be activated.