How to become an Insurance Agent?
To become Insurance Agent you should have the clear understanding of Insurance and its market in India, here in this post we will help you to learn what insurance is! and how to become an Insurance Agent.
An Insurance Agent is a point of contact(POC) of an insurance company for any individual, who assists individuals with insurance products that are best suitable for them and do collect all the necessary documentation and assist policyholder throughout the term of the policy.
You can become an insurance business associate with us at Finbucket.com
Selling insurance is rewarding and has good potential in India.
You can become Insurance Agent either for a Life Insurance company or for a general Insurance company or become a composite Agent.
You would need to approach an Insurance company to become Insurance Agent, then apply in the prescribed format along with supporting documents. Documents would be your identity proof, address proof, PANCARD copy, few copies of your photograph and then apply. You would have to undergo an online training and once you clear you get certified to become an Agent. It takes about 60 days from the time you apply to become an Agent.
Decide What Kind of Insurance You Want to Sell
There are different types of insurance verticals in the market, Now you have to decide which vertical is most suitable for you to sell the insurance products, these are as following:
- Life insurance
- General insurance
- Property insurance
- Personal lines insurance
- Surplus line insurance
- Casualty insurance
- Variable products insurance
Individuals often combine certain verticals, such as property and casualty insurance.
Currently, you can only be associated with one general insurance & one life insurance company. Also, To appear for the exam, you need to enroll with an insurance company, who would arrange your training and license.
Understand the General Requirements
when you have the clear understanding of what is most favorable insurance vertical then you have to understand the basic requirements these are as following:
- your age must be 18 or above.
- you must be 12th passed for urban areas or 10th std passed for rural areas.
- You need to pass an exam conducted by IRDA (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority).
- Each state requires the license to business insurance. An agent will require a separate license to sell life and health insurance, casualty or property insurance. To get the license, an agent must complete pre-licensing courses and quality state examinations.
- Age proof
- Address proof
- Certificate of highest education
- Pan card
- Adhar card
- Recent passport size photographs
How to prepare for Practical Training
If the applicant is seeking the license for the first time he or she should undergo 100/50hrs training in an IRDA approved institution and thereafter take the Pre-Licensing test to qualify for applying for an Agency License.
you can get IC 38 Study material for Agents Here
Tips to become a successful Insurance Agent
To became Insurance agent, and get success in the insurance filed you need to differentiate your self from others to do so you need to keep the following things in mind:
- Be a good student to become Insurance Agent: like a student in a school, you should always eager to know all the latest news about the insurance in the market and update yourself accordingly. do attend the training and seminars arranged by the insurance organization. Try to be a one-stop destination for all the comprehensive financial services and satisfactory insurance product knowledge a client wants
- Be competitive by incorporating new technology to grow your business: Internet these days is playing a vital role for any business to grow, so you also need to update your business by incorporating latest technical things in the market and stay ahead from the competition
- Be good at customer service to build satisfied clientele and lead to more referrals: Undeniably, consumers are going to the internet to shop for insurance but the majority of them still prefers to get a policy by sitting down with an agent, so be prepared with all the prerequisites.
Code of Conduct for Insurance Agent
Every Insurance agent holding licence must adhere to the code of conduct mentioned below:
- Every insurance agent shall :
- introduce himself and the insurance company he is representing.
- show the licence when asked for!
- No insurance agent shall:
- sell insurance without having a valid licence.
- misguide the prospect over any insurance services.
To know more about the code of conduct for insurance in details Click here