Link Aadhaar with PAN is now mandatory.
In 2017, it was announced that PAN and Aadhaar had to be mandatorily linked irrespective of income tax return file or not. The law was introduced by the government which made it must for everyone to link Aadhaar with PAN. In case you have filed an ITR without linking it with PAN and Aadhaar then you must link the same before the 31st March to avoid the problem of rejection by the tax department for processing. If you do not have the aadhaar card so this is a good time to apply for it. Link mobile number to aadhar card for smooth transaction
- The aadhaar card contains the aadhaar number of the cardholder, it has a 12 digit number allotted to individuals.
- Aadhaar card is the unique identification card which is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India.
- Also it contains the collected biometric and demographic data and other details of the resident of India.
- Aadhaar card is mandatory to file an Income Tax Return as it serves a proof of address and identity for every individual.
- Applying and consequently availing the aadhaar card is voluntarily and there is a procedure to apply for aadhaar card which should be followed in a proper way.
- It is one of the most important documents which can be used for availing benefits from different government scheme as well as for other purposes such as:
- The opening of a bank account
- Applying for gas connection, etc.
- To get an aadhaar card it is mandatory to visit the enrollment center and submit the all required documents.
- For obtaining Aadhaar card the most easy way is apply aadhar card online.
- A PAN (Permanent Account Number) is unique 10 character code that is assigned to all tax paying entities in India.
- PAN links all transactions related to tax under a single source which make easier for the government to keep a record of all transactions.
- A PAN is necessary for filing an ITR (Income Tax Return) by all individuals and entities.
- It is also used as an identity proof and age proof.
- You can get your PAN card registered by the way of Online PAN Card Registration.
Link Aadhar with PAN
It is now mandatory to link Aadhaar with PAN (Permanent Account Number). Linking Aadhaar with PAN will be beneficial in many ways such as:
- Benefits of various government schemes
- Reduction in fraud
- It will be helpful in avoiding tax evasion
- People cannot have multiple PAN with them for the motive to conduct any kind of fraud etc.
The PAN Card and Aadhar Card both are the unique identification cards that serve a proof of identity which plays an important role for verification process and registration. The government of India has urged all entities to link their aadhaar card with their PAN card and there are numerous advantages behind this purpose such as:
- Prevention of Tax Evasion
- Reduce the occurrence of individuals or entities applying for multiple PAN Cards.
- Ease in the filing of Income Tax Return, etc.
Steps to link Aadhaar with PAN Card
Linking of Aadhaar with PAN can be done by two methods:
- Online method, and
- Offline method
In an online method, if your name does not match then the Aadhar OTP (One Time Password) will be generated and the OTP will be sent to the registered or linked to the aadhaar number entered online, you need to enter that OPT online to complete the process.
If you are a registered user at income tax e-filing website
- If you are already filing the income tax return then most probably your PAN is already linked with Aadhar.
- Income tax filing is done by the income tax department only if details of both PAN and Aadhaar is available.
- You can check if your Aadhar is already linked with PAN or not by visiting the income tax department e-filing website.
- Login to the website by entering the user ID, password, and date of birth of yours.
- Once your account opens click on ‘profile setting’ tab and selects the option ‘link aadhaar’, the screen will show the image that you’re PAN in linked to your aadhaar or not.
- If your PAN is not linked to aadhaar than a form will appear where you need to require to fill all the details such as:
- Date of birth
- Gender, etc.
- After providing the above details enter the captcha code appearing on the screen and then submit your form.
- After submission, the success message will display on your screen.
- In case the Aadhar name is completely different from the name in PAN database then the PAN holder has to change the name either in Aadhaar or in PAN, also he can visit the designated PAN application center of NSDL or UTIITSL for biometric aadhaar authentication.
For non-registered users
- There is another way by which you can link Aadhar with PAN if in case you don’t register yourself with e-filing website.
- At the home page of the e-filing website the hyperlink has been provided, it is also provided on the income tax website.
- Click ‘link aadhaar’ on e-filing website then a form will appear where you are required to enter details like:
- Aadhar number
- Name as per aadhaar.
- If your aadhaar card contains only your birth year then you need to select an option ‘i have the only year of birth in Aadhaar card’.
- After completing the above steps enter your captcha code and submit your form.
- Once the form is submitted with all the relevant information the PAN will link with Aadhar and the message will be displayed on the screen, showing that the PAN is successfully linked to the Aadhar.
Link Aadhaar with PAN by sending the SMS to the PAN service provider
- By using the e-filing website you are not able to link your PAN and Aadhar then you can link them by sending the SMS to the PAN service provider.
- Notification dated June 29, 2017, the CBDT (Central Board of Direct Taxes) has provided other method to link PAN and Aadhar.
- SMS can be sent to either of PAN service provider NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Ltd. or UTI Infrastructure Technology and Service Limited.
- You can send the SMS using a keyword 567678 or 56161 in a specific format i.e
- UIDPAN<space><12 digit aadhar><space><10 digit PAN>
- For example, your aadhaar is 111222333000 and PAN is AAAPPP333Q
Then you are required to send the SMS to 567678 or 56161 and the SMS will be “UIDPAN 111222333000 AAAPPP333Q
Manual linking by filing a form Annexure-I
- As per the notification of CBDT if in case the person is not able to sort out the problem related to PAN and Aadhar details then a manual method can ease the problem of taxpayers.
- Visit the service center of PAN service provider i.e
- NSDL, or
There you need to fill a form Annexure-I along with the supporting documents such as:
- Copy of PAN Card, and
- Aadhar Card
- An individual is required to pay for these services and the charges will depend on the work whether it is for correction is made in the PAN or Aadhar details accordingly.
- The fee charged is INR 110 for corrections in the details of a PAN and INR 25 for correction in Aadhar Details.
- If there is any major mismatch in the data of PAN and Aadhar then in such case the biometric authentication is mandatory.
Correction facility to link Aadhaar with PAN
- Online facility for correcting the errors in various information present on the Aadhar Card and Permanent Account Number has been provided by Income Tax Department.
- The income tax department has added the two hyperlinks on the official website for e-filing of tax.
- One link is for the application page for Permanent Account Number, and
- Through second link the changes or updates can be made.
- In order to update the details an individual can easily log on to aadhaar Self Service Update Portal (SSUP).
- A person can also upload all the scanned documents that are needed as data update request proof.
- According to the data more than 1.22 crores individuals, entities have already linked their aadhaar with their PAN. According to the statistics offered by the Income Tax Department only 6 crore people in India pay their tax in a proper way.
- Unique Identification Authority has launched Aadhar mobile app which helps aadhaar holder access all aadhaar details on their smartphone easily.
Get PAN with your Aadhaar Card
Applying for Permanent Account number can be a long process as it consists of several formalities then the Income Tax Department collaborated with Unique Identification Authority of India to make a process of PAN easier.
In order to such announcement, the income tax department made aadhaar card acceptable as a valid proof for:
- Address proof, and
- Date of Birth
Facts for link Aadhaar with PAN
- Even if a person doesn’t fall into a taxable bracket then also it is advisable that you should link aadhaar with PAN card in order to avoid any future obstruct.
- Benefits of government schemes can be avail through Aadhaar card.
- With effect from July 1, 2017, the requirement to quote Aadhaar for filing Income Tax Return and for making an application for allotment of PAN does not apply to the non-resident of India.
Q. If I don’t fall into the taxable bracket, do I still have to get an Aadhaar card or have it linked to my PAN card?
Ans. Yes, because the government has made Aadhaar mandatory for availing various government as well as non-government services. So even if you don’t fall into the taxable bracket, still it is advisable that you should get an Aadhaar card. Do not forget to link your Aadhaar with PAN as early as possible.
Q. Is it mandatory to create an account on the department website?
Ans. A direct link is available on the website which you can use to link yourAadhaar card to PAN card. So you need not create the account on the department website.
Q. Can I de-link my Aadhaar number?
Ans. No. Till now there is no option available to de-link the Aadhaar number.
Q. What should I do if my details as per my PAN card do not match with the ones mentioned on my Aadhaar card?
Ans. If your PAN card details do not match with the Aadhaar card details then you need to file an application with the PAN authorities with valid documents. Or you can change the Aadhaar details to match with PAN details by using UIDAI website.
Q. Do I have to submit any documentary proof to link my Aadhaar card to PAN card?
Ans. No, there is no need for any documentary proof to link Aadhaar card to PAN card. Remember that you PAN information matches the Aadhaar information.
Q.What are the details I have to check when linking my Aadhaar card to PAN card?
Ans. While link Aadhaar with PAN card, you have to make sure that your name, date of birth and gender matches with the details on your Aadhaar card.