- Ration card is an official document which is one of the identity proof entitling any citizen to a ration of food, fuel, or other goods issued by the Government of India.
- They are primarily used at the time of purchasing subsidized foodstuffs (wheat, rice, sugar) and kerosene. The cards have been used since World War II and their use continues in the 21st century.
- It is one important weapon provided by the government to the poor people, providing proof of identity and a connection with government databases.
- The ration card is usually used as proof of identity and address before the onset of other documents like passport and PAN cards.
- Many instances of fraud have been seen, where the individual is obtaining more than their share of ration or where individuals who are not eligible for ration are obtaining it, depriving more deserving people of it.
- To shoot out such instances, the government has made a mandatory regulation to link ration cards with an individual’s Aadhaar card.
- The Aadhaar card is a unique identification number which also contains the individual’s biometric information.
- The government has made it compulsory for people to link Aadhaar Card with all their important documents like PAN, bank accounts, etc.
- A recent regulation made by the government is to link Aadhaar with Ration Card.
- Ration card is necessary to connect it with Aadhaar so that the benefits received by the holder can be recorded and fraud done by individuals can be prevented.
- You can link your Aadhaar with your Ration card either offline or online.
Follow the steps given below to link Aadhaar and Ration Card offline:
- Visit the nearest PDS (Public distribution system) center or Ration Shop.
- You have to carry photocopies of your Ration Card and the copies of Aadhaar Cards off all your family members. You should also carry a passport size photograph of the head of the family.
- Submit all these documents at the PDS shop with a copy of your Aadhaar card.
- The representative of the Ration shop will ask you to put your finger on the biometric machine for the first-time authentication.
For linking the Aadhaar card with your ration card online, follow the steps given below:
- Visit the official website of Aadhaar and click on “Start Now”.
- Enter your full address, including district and state.
- From the listed options, select the Benefit Type, which is “Ration Card”.
- The next step is to choose the scheme name, which is “ration card”
- Enter your ration card number, Aadhaar card number, email address, and mobile number.
- Type in the OTP you received through SMS. Link Aadhaar with Mobile number
- On-screen notification will come that the application process was successful.
Given below is the list of Aadhaar documents which are necessary for linking the Aadhaar card with the ration card:
- Photocopy of your Ration Card with the original card for verification.
- Copies of the Aadhaar card of your family members.
- Photocopy of the Aadhaar card of the head of the family.
- Passport size photograph of the head of the family.