- Apply for Aadhaar card
- Procedure to apply for Aadhaar Card
- Steps to apply for Aadhaar card
- List of documents
- You can carry one of the documents as the proof of identity
- You can carry one of the documents as proof of Address
- Documents required as proofs of Date of Birth
- Documents required in case of Minors
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. Is it mandatory to apply for an Aadhaar card?
- Q. Does the Aadhaar card work as ID proof and Address Proof?
- Q. Is filling online enrolment form a very time-consuming process?
- Q. Does a person need to carry more than one Id and address proof documents at the time of visiting the enrolment center?
- Q. What is the reapplication process for the Aadhaar card once my verification process has failed?
- Q. Why children below 5 years of age require an Aadhaar card?
- Q. Is it necessary to have Aadhaar to open a new bank account?
- Q. Can we register/ change mobile number online?
- Q. I want to give up my Aadhaar.
- Q. Can NRIs also get Aadhaar?
- Q. My fingers do not work, when asked to place them on the fingerprint device?
- Q. Why are Government schemes asking for Aadhaar?
Apply for Aadhaar card
- Providing Aadhaar based unique identity to every individual in the country is one of the biggest initiatives taken up by the central government. It is also a big move towards making a digital India.
- Using this digital ID known as the Aadhaar card you can enjoy the benefits of government welfare schemes, from any part of the nation whether you are living in a remote village or urban city.
- However, for this, you need to first apply for an Aadhaar card and then link your Aadhaar card with PAN card, bank account, and also to SIM number.
- Looking at such widespread need of the Aadhaar card each eligible individual should apply for Aadhaar card by registering himself on the website of UIDAI.
- Aadhaar registration is completely voluntary but as it has been made mandatory by the government of India for filing tax returns as well as for getting benefits of subsidies, you should apply for an Aadhaar card as soon as possible.
- The process to apply for an Aadhaar card will start from applying for an appointment, then visiting the center to submit the biometric and demographic information, verification of the details by the authorities, and then finally you will receive the Aadhaar card.
- You can also download e-Aadhaar online.
Procedure to apply for Aadhaar Card
- The first and foremost thing you need to do is book an appointment online on the UIDAI website for the enrolment center which is nearest to your residence. However booking an appointment is completely optional, you can directly visit the enrolment center
- Then ask for the enrolment form from the officers and fill all the details.
- procedure to apply for Aadhaar card online
- The form is also available online and the below image shows how the Aadhaar Enrolment form looks like:
- Submit the filled form along with the required documents.
- The required documents will include identity proof and address proof.
- A photograph of you will be clicked on the spot.
- Then you will be asked to submit your biometric data. This means your fingerprints and an iris scan.
- After collecting all the necessary details, an acknowledgment slip is generated and is given to you.
- Regularly check the Aadhaar application status until you actually receive the Aadhaar card.
Steps to apply for Aadhaar card
List of documents
You can carry one of the documents as the proof of identity
- Voter ID
- PAN card
- Driving license
- Ration card
- Government ID card containing your photo.
- Identity certificate having your photo issued by a Gazetted Officer.
You can carry one of the documents as proof of Address
- Bank Passbook
- Driving License
- Water bill (last 3 months)
- Gas Connection Bill (last 3 months)
- Electricity Bill (last 3 months)
- Telephone Landline Bill (last 3 months)
- Certificate of Address having your photo, issued by a Gazetted Officer.
There are various documents required for the Aadhaar card
Documents required as proofs of Date of Birth
- Certificate of Date of Birth.
- SSLC Certificate.
Documents required in case of Minors
- Birth certificate.
- Identity proof of parents.
- Address proof of parents.
- Aadhaar card of parents.
In cases where Aadhaar card is issued to children below 5 years of age, their biometric data is not recorded, only a photograph is clicked. Their Aadhaar is linked to the UID of their parents. Their biometrics of ten fingers, the iris scan is required to be updated, when they turn 5 and 15 years of age. The Aadhaar issued to children between 0-5 years is blue in color.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is it mandatory to apply for an Aadhaar card?
Ans. Looking at the current scenario in which the Aadhaar card has been made mandatory for availing benefits of various government schemes, you should apply for an Aadhaar card as soon as possible.
Q. Does the Aadhaar card work as ID proof and Address Proof?
Ans. Yes, the Aadhaar card works as an identity proof as well as address proof.
Q. Is filling online enrolment form a very time-consuming process?
Ans. No, the government has taken up all the necessary measures so that person enrolling online does not face any inconvenience in filling the form online. The online enrolling process is, in fact, faster if you have all the required information ready when you fill the enrolment form.
Q. Does a person need to carry more than one Id and address proof documents at the time of visiting the enrolment center?
Ans. No, you need to carry only one identity proof and one address proof while you visit the enrolment center. However, you will be required to give you biometrics information too.
Q. What is the reapplication process for the Aadhaar card once my verification process has failed?
Ans. The re-application process for the Aadhaar card is the same as the application process for the first time. You need to again fill the Aadhaar enrolment form and then visit the enrolment center for verification of biometrics and demographic information.
Q. Why children below 5 years of age require an Aadhaar card?
Ans. Aadhaar Card is an identity proof for minors and helps in establishing their identity in flight bookings, railway bookings, school admission, opening bank accounts, etc.
Q. Is it necessary to have Aadhaar to open a new bank account?
Ans. As per the notification of the government of India, Aadhaar is necessary to open new bank accounts.
Q. Can we register/ change mobile number online?
Ans. Yes, but for any online update request, including updating of mobile number, the resident should already have an active number registered, where a person can receive OTP and authenticate himself/herself.
Q. I want to give up my Aadhaar.
Ans. There is no procedure to give up the Aadhaar card. However, Aadhaar holders can secure their Biometric data as per need by locking or unlocking Biometrics using “Lock/Unlock Biometrics” functionality at UIDAI website “resident.uidai.gov.in”
Q. Can NRIs also get Aadhaar?
Ans. As per the Aadhaar Act, 2016, only a person who has resided in India for a period or periods amounting in all to 182 or more in the 12 months immediately preceding the date of application for enrolment can apply for Aadhaar.
Q. My fingers do not work, when asked to place them on the fingerprint device?
Ans. You can visit the nearest permanent enrolment center, officials are there to help update your biometrics.
Q. Why are Government schemes asking for Aadhaar?
Ans. It facilitates government schemes to clean out duplicates and fakes, and provides accurate data, and enable the government in the implementation of direct benefit programs. The use of Aadhaar provides increased transparency to the government in the implementation of its schemes.